Tips to make your room feel cosy
We understand that moving from your home into residential care can be accompanied by many emotions, as all transitions can. There can be grief over moving away from your home – a place where you were surrounded by memories and familiarity – and moving into an unknown space with new people, surroundings and routines.
But here at Rowallan House, we want you to feel at home. One of the best ways to do this is by sprucing up your room with cosy and personal touches. After all, your room is and should feel like your own space. A peaceful sanctuary where you can rest, relax, enjoy some ‘me-time’ or spend time with family and friends.
In this post, we share some easy tips on personalising your room so that you can make the most of residential care in Chadwell Heath, Romford and enjoy your home away from home as much as possible.
Welcome to your room
All residents have a choice of rooms, including en-suites or rooms with garden views. Each room has a television and telephone points and is accessible by two serviced lifts. While every room comes furnished, there is plenty of space for personal possessions which we encourage you to take advantage of.
Making your room yours
- Decorate with personal items – Surrounding yourself with items from your home can help ease the transition and help you settle in. These can include small pieces of furniture, ornaments, books, knick-knacks, paintings and, of course, fluffy slippers.
- Add a pop of colour – Colour can make a huge difference in adding warmth to your space. If you’re looking to create a cosy and homely feel, we recommend adding cushions or blankets in the following colours: orange, mustard yellow, burgundy, gold, red, forest green and orange.
- Embrace the power of scent – Smell is such a powerful sense. Certain fragrances may evoke memories, bring a sense of calm or provide comfort. Choosing a scent that means something to you can also help separate your room from the rest of the residence. Whether you add a bowl of potpourri or opt for a diffuser, your room is sure to feel more like home. Recommended scents include cedar, lavender, vanilla or neroli.
- Hang up family photos – Keeping photos of family nearby can remind you of their love and bring back happy memories, even when they’re not around. From wedding photos to snaps of your grandchildren, photos are a wonderful way to surround yourself with joy and add a distinctly personal touch.
- Freshen it up with flowers – Flowers, whether they be fresh or artificial, can brighten up your room in an instant. If flowers aren’t for you, plants also add a burst of green which can be both homely and fresh.
- Enjoy soft furnishings – Make your room more inviting by adding soft furnishings such as decorative cushions and throws. From fleecy to velvety to fuzzy, they’re sure to make your room feel extra welcoming.
Get in touch
Are you or a loved one interested in learning more about Rowallan House? We invite you to please get in touch or call us on either 0800 999 8499 or 0208 597 4175. Our friendly staff is more than happy to answer any of your questions or provide more information on life here.